Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reiterating the Poster

After presenting to our University of Minnesota friends and the kids, I received some good feedback on the first poster design. One kid liked it so much he wanted one to take home. These were the suggestions:

  • Even bigger image and smaller/fewer text
  • More colorful
  • And Melodee suggested that I try to make more in the vein of my other work
So I went back to the drawing boards and ditched the horizontal format for a larger vertical one-and this is how it went:
My other illustration focusses on using hand drawn textures and hand lettering
as well as variety in line-work color.

I also have an affinity for rustic things and nature. The wood planks are in line with
my style and help to push and pull the 2D space. Likewise, the vine in the lower right corner adds more invitation to the poster an reinforces the idea of the sustainable loop.

I consolidated the text into one streamlined
paragraph with a two reinforcing notes. The addition of purple and a creamy yellow also serve to make the poster easier on the eyes as well as more colorful (purple being a suggested color by the kids).

The zigzag line has been changed to a long vertical line which more effectively kanotes a finite cycle.

I added a question at the end challenging the reader (young students) to start taking steps to improve their sustainability by reducing, reusing, and recycling, using sustainable products and inferring that science is the integral key to advancing clean technology.







This poster is very different from the first rendition, but still holds onto the successful parts of its predecessor such as the line paper, collegiate-style font, and original illustrations.

-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment